[ExI] Effective accelerationism (e/acc) is good

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:57:04 UTC 2023

On 2023. Dec 8., Fri at 17:02, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> The intent is good; the name is unfortunate.  It brings connotations of
> "effective altruism", which is struggling with those who have used it as a
> cover for ill deeds (as well as concerns over whether it has been effective
> in practice), and "accelerationism", a political philosophy that tries for
> "make things worse so the people (in charge or at large) will have to wake
> up and do the right thing" but in practice usually only achieves "make
> things worse".

I think the name was coined in the spur of the moment as a word play on
effective altruism, but yes, I think extropy is a much better name for
pretty much the same thing. I’m sure Verdon agrees, or he wouldn’t have
called his company extropicAI. However, the label e/acc has gained momentum.