[ExI] [Extropolis] Effective accelerationism (e/acc) is good

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 06:50:15 UTC 2023

Hi John,

<So the real question an AI scientist should ask himself is not should I
help build a super intelligence but should I wait for somebody more ethical
than me to do so...>

I don't have a concept of "ethics" more precise than the nebulous concept
that we should align with the will of the universe or something like that,
for which we should first know more about what the will of the universe
could be.

< I don't believe that the scientists in China or Russia or North Korea are
more moral than the scientists working at OpenAI or Google or Anthropic...>

Same as above for morality: I don't know what morality is. But from a more
practical perspective, history shows that modern (or better pre-modern)
Western culture, which has been based on competition, pluralism, freedom of
thought and speech, freedom of scientific research, has produced better
sci/tech faster than the centralized cultures of China or Russia or North
Korea.

Which brings me to:

<Because I committed heresy and the Extropians excommunicated me, and
because I don't want to be mistaken as a closet Trump supporter.>

So we extropians are Trump supporters? I didn't know that, but if so, then
feel free to call me a Trump supporter!

Trump is far from being my ideal politician. But then very few politician
are, and those few don't have a realistic chance to be elected to positions
where they can make a difference.

In politics, one must think not only of how good a certain candidate or a
certain policy is, but also of the alternatives on the table.

To me, Trump is a symptom. It is like part of the collective mind of
America, perhaps the more perceptive part, has sensed that American culture
(and Western culture at large) is slipping on a dangerous slope that could
lead to abandoning the principles of competition, pluralism, freedom of
thought and speech, and freedom of scientific research. This is where the
ultra-PC "wokeness" of certain intolerant cultural and political actors
leads. And that part of our collective mind has embraced Trump as the best
way to fight back.

Of course there could be better ways to fight back, and of course a better
candidate than Trump could emerge. But we must fight back in some or some
other way.