[ExI] copy of Washington Post comment re AI

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:42:11 UTC 2023

"It must be regulated."

The trouble is that nobody knows how to regulate AI except in the
vaguest terms. I don't know and I have thought about AI for 20 years,
followed the discussions by Eliezer Yudkowsky on Friendly AI,
contributed a little to those discussions and wrote fiction about it
(The Clinic Seed
https://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson1.html

I had a little influence because nobody talks about copying a human
brain to get an AI anymore. (Evolution has left humans with deep
psychological traits such as going to war when caught in a resource
crisis.) We don't want an AI that goes into war mode like humans do.

When (and if) we give AIs motivation, we should look for the best
humans have. Suskulan, the AI in the story, "had other carefully
selected human personality characteristics such as seeking the good
opinion of its peers (humans and other of its kind alike). It also had
a few unhuman limits."

There are a number of SF stories with AI themes. The classic is "The
Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein. The AI, Mike, is central
to the story.

It is a little dated, but "The Revolution From Rosinante" [The
Rosinante Trilogy by Alexis A. Gilliland] is excellent. Have you ever
considered an AI that founds a new religion?

Keith