[ExI] New project for EFF (maybe)

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 18:53:39 UTC 2023

Hi Cindy, John

My response to an article on slashdot about hackers that removed the
code that bricked trains.

If there were social support, programmers could just refuse on ethical
grounds to write the code that bricks a train or anything else.

Long ago when I was faced with something similar, I was just fired.
If there was an organization that made such behavior public in a way
that seriously hurt the reputation of a company, they might think
twice about such abuse.

Would we have to start a new organization for programmers or is there
an existing one that could take on this function?  The EFF comes to
mind, but open to other suggestions.  I will ask the EFF if they would
consider this.

Keith

Keith