[ExI] Home smart speakers could report crimes or violence

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:58:54 UTC 2023

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 at 19:07, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I can repeat the experiment, since I intend to go up thru the gorge on
> another camping trip in March.  This time I will not say a word or might
> even turn off my phone, see if I get any turbine ads.
>
> spike
>-----------------------------------

When your phone is on, it is probably using GPS and location services,
so the incoming missile can be precisely targeted.  :)

When your phone is switched off, the network can still trace it using
Cell Tower Triangulation.  Smartphones communicate with the nearest
cell tower even when they aren't making calls. This gives a rough idea
of the device's location. The strength of the device's signal, whether
it is stronger or weaker, gives the network provider even more
information about how far away the cell phone is from a tower. When
the signal from multiple towers is combined, it's possible to narrow
down the location even further.

To disappear from the system, you need to hide the phone in a Faraday pouch.
(Of course, this is very suspicious behaviour).  ;)

BillK