[ExI] Limiting factor to the Intelligence Singularity?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 21:41:34 UTC 2023

On Sat, Dec 23, 2023, 4:26 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 8:40 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 23, 2023, 11:12 AM Kelly Anderson via extropy-chat <
> >>
> >> Einstein proposed that nothing could achieve the speed of light
> >> because it gained mass as it got closer to that speed.
> >>
> >> I wonder if something similar might affect intellectual progress.
> >

> > There is. Seth Lloyd describes the physical limits of computational
> speed and memory density, which are a function of just three physical
> constants (c, h-bar, and G): https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9908043
>
> I have to read this more carefully, but I wonder if he got the
> radiation limits right.

The limits he arrives at are roughly in line with Bremermann's limit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremermann%27s_limit

Which is a straightforward calculation for how quickly a quantum system can
detectably transition between states. It is essentially the amount of time
it takes for a photon of a given energy to traverse its own wavelength.
This yields a physical bound on Hertz for a given amount of energy (or
mass).

> If Tabby's Star blinking is the result of huge data centers coming
> between us and the star, then we have an example

Stars only convert 0.7% of their mass to energy from fusion. Stephen
hawking suggested advanced civilizations might use small black holes as
power plants as they could convert 100% of their mass to energy:

"A mountain-sized black hole would give off X-rays and gamma rays, at a
rate of about 10 million megawatts, enough to power the world’s electricity
supply."
-- Stephen Hawking

Something this small would likely be completely undetectable to us.
Further, if alien civilizations shift to using reversible computers, then
energy would no longer be a scarce resource to them as their computers
could run without consuming power.

Jason