[ExI] bond villain?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 1 05:18:44 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>...Dang this version of reality is just... weird.  Reality is just too
weird.  spike

While marveling that the actual real-life Bond villain, when finally being
revealed, looks as goofy as Dr. Evil, a most disturbing thought occurred to
me.  I vaguely buy the notion that this guy was blowing smoke to get his
boyfriend into bed, that sounds plausible enough.

But... if a company really did want to create a new virus and proactively
develop a vaccine for it, that would be the ultimate cash cow.  It would be
the perfect Bond James Bond adversary, with all the classic features: kill
millions while making one hundred billion for the bad guy.

A company like Pfizer likely wouldn't do it, but the disturbing part is
this: anyone can do directed evolution.  It doesn't take a company.  If
covid can jump from a bat to a human, it can jump from a human to a bat
(biology hipsters: ja?)

It is easy enough to intentionally catch covid.  Bad guy does that, goes
home, extracts a cc of her own blood, injects her pet bats, waits for them
to get sick and some to die, extracts a few cc of blood from a dead bat,
centrifuges out the RBCs and stuff, filters the plasma/virus mixture to
concentrate the virus, reinjects the concentrated virus to a bunch of
healthy bats who survived the infection (so their immune system is pumped),
wait a few days, take out the dead ones, extract their blood, centrifuge,
filter, repeat, until the bad guy (who looks far less goofy than Jordan
Walker) selectively breeds a planet killer, in her own home with zero
collaborators, no one to leak anything.  Neither Bond James Bond nor OKeefe
James Okeefe can stop the bad guy because no one knows she is doing it.

This is a big planet with a lot of potential bad guys.  We have no way of
knowing how many are doing directed evolution on covid.  This would be a
black swan that doesn't require enormous amounts of funding or any
particular brilliance.  And all along we thought it was going to be nukes or
malicious AI that did us in.