[ExI] Meeting of the Minds

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 8 01:56:30 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of sjatkins via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meeting of the Minds

>…Of course we human beings (apologies to any AGIs that may be reading this)  do a LOT of what we do without being all that conscious of what we are doing much less the details of doing it.  …    Mirror mirror.

- samantha

Example, our emotions just happen without any conscious effort on our part.  The mysterious thing we call intelligence is stuff that happens up in the frontal lobes.  But the lower-down stuff in the brain does plenty of work not involving those cortices.

Nearly four decades ago, as chess software was getting better and better, we discovered (to our dismay) that playing strategic chess does not require intelligence.  We have seen ChatGPT pull together stuff from the internet which certainly looks a lot like intelligence, but isn’t.  I can imagine the frontier in business research is in finding more and more jobs which can be done by AI or what ChatGPT really is: imitation intelligence.  If that imitation is good enough, then it gets the job.