[ExI] Meeting of the Minds

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 8 16:43:44 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Wednesday, 8 February, 2023 6:23 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meeting of the Minds

The challenge, it seems to me, is to find ways for AI to understand people.  People talk in ambiguities.  They use the wrong words.  They leave things out… bill w

So a meta-version of spellcheck?  ChatGPT kinda does this already.  Notice that the way we write differs from the way we talk.  The preceding sentence illustrates this, for we wouldn’t speak it that way.  Rather we would opt for a shorthand (shortvoice?) version: We talk and write different.

The sentence “we write and talk different” is more open to interpretation compared to the way I wrote it to start with.

Get on ChatGPT, experiment with intentionally clumsy formats in questions.  Write something exactly the way you said it or heard it.  Notice when Google Meet creates a verbatim transcript of a verbal discussion, how weird the sentence structure is.  Our brains work in a different way when processing speech vs when we process writing.