[ExI] gpt as a language teacher

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:28:00 UTC 2023

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 at 19:29, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Agreed BillK, and I have been using them to communicate with some scout parents who speak very little English.  They are Mandarin speakers.  The phones don't work well between Mandarin and English, but it can be used to some extent.
>
> Where I was going with it is this: many of us dual-purpose our time by making personal phone calls while we are out and about doing errands.  So what if... we could use that time to pick up another language, but specifically talk about areas that interest us?  I don't know or care about sports, Hollywood stars, none of the usual nonsense that preoccupies and distracts modern society from stuff that matters, but I would like to learn another language while talking about something interesting.  I choose German.
>
> spike

Mandarin is a really difficult language. It is a group of dialects,
all called Mandarin. Even people who put Mandarin as their first
language can have difficulty understanding some other 'Mandarin'
speakers.
Google Translate can probably do German for you much better.  :)

BillK