[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 20 16:57:25 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dave S via extropy-chat
…

>…On Monday, February 20th, 2023 at 11:08 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

The Turing test indicates only one class of sentience (he said, as we now have software passing the Turing test regularly (demonstrating our collective desperate determination to move the AI goal posts again.))

>…There's no "the" Turing Test. Even Turing described at least two variations. And they weren't defined sufficiently to be practical tests--and likely weren't intended to be used that way. -Dave

Ja.  We don’t think of software capable of passing several variants of Turing’s criteria as sentient.  If we get learning chatbots (you know that hasta come next (and might even be able to imagine ways to do it (I did (being a controls engineer I immediately started thinking in terms of Kalman filter techniques)))) then it will be a new day.  The chatbot would need to be individually owned or at least individually controlled, so that the user controls where it gets its information, which websites, which text, which people we allow it to talk to.

The possibilities are astonishing.  We could train a chatbot and have it interact with our favorite online chat groups under our own names, while we are on vacation or after we are dead.  Heh.