[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 20 17:07:31 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
<mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> > On Behalf Of Dave S via
extropy-chat
…

>…There's no "the" Turing Test. Even Turing described at least two
variations. And they weren't defined sufficiently to be practical tests--and
likely weren't intended to be used that way. -Dave

Vanderbilt University sent out a mass email to the students following a
shooting at Michigan State University composed by ChatGPT.  They were
caught, and the administrators who did it are apologizing:

https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/statement.php

Why should they apologize?  If ChatGPT can compose a good letter of
encouragement after a tragedy, why not use it?  It’s a resource, and college
students are taught to use all available resources, ja?  I don’t see any
need for apology, and I don’t see any need for the office of whoever
previously was in charge of composing letters of encouragement and comfort
after a campus shooting.  Just use ChatGPT for that, ja?