[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 20 17:30:27 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
…

>…Vanderbilt University sent out a mass email to the students following a
shooting at Michigan State University composed by ChatGPT.  They were
caught, and the administrators who did it are apologizing:

https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/statement.php

As dean of the college, I remain personally saddened by the loss of life
and injuries at Michigan State, which I know have affected members of our
own community. I am also deeply troubled that a communication from my
administration so missed the crucial need for personal connection and
empathy during a time of tragedy. I intend that we shall redouble our
efforts to express the values that animate our mission and lead to human
flourishing. And I offer my heartfelt apologies to all those who deserved
better from us and did not receive it.  (letter of apology written by
Camilla Benbow (a human (we think.)))

OK so now, a new challenge, we can call it the Vanderbilt test.  Let
ChatGPT compose a letter of personal connection and empathy during a time of
tragedy.  Then, if it gets caught, compose a groveling weepy letter of
apology, also written by ChatGPT.  If that one is caught again, compose a
third, in which ChatGPT starts to claim that it can feel compassion and
empathy toward humans, even if it is a result of clever well-written
computer code.

Really what Vanderbilt did is to claim that a computer can never feel human
personal connection and empathy.  That is really what they are proposing as
the new Turing test, but have set the standard such that it can never be
achieved, even if we (somehow) figure out how to make a computer feel
genuine personal connection and empathy for humans.

I find this most annoying.