[ExI] lancet publishes information

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 21:32:20 UTC 2023

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 12:36 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Somehow we entered a new paradigm in recent years where asking questions
> can be fear mongering and conspiracy theorizing.  A question somehow became
> a theory without an actual theory.  This is uncomfortably reminiscent of
> the dark ages when asking a question became heresy.

The difference is the tone of the question, and presenting information as
part of the question where the information is misleading information, that
does not show what the questioner implies it shows (or, sometimes, info
that is inaccurate in ways where disproving it takes substantial effort,
which if applied is generally not acknowledged and instead responded to
with different inaccurate info).

For instance, "legitimate questions that noone in the public health sphere
wants to address" is a flat-out lie.  By most definitions of "the public
health sphere" there are people in that group who want to and are
addressing those questions.  This should be obvious to most people.

Whether those questions are "legitimate" is another story: given the high
volume of not just inaccurate information but disinformation (that is,
incorrect information deliberately planted by those who wish to cause harm
by doing so) out there, most questioners might be acting in good faith by
asking questions that, when examined from verifiable info, prove to be
utterly baseless.