[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 02:03:45 UTC 2023

A simulation is *a model that mimics the operation of an existing or
proposed system, providing evidence for decision-making by being able to
test different scenarios or process changes*.

Dave: What the brain does is absolutely a simulation according to the
definition above. A representation of the world is a simulation of the
world. Theory of mind is a simulation of other minds.
What else would you mean for a simulation?
I gave you the example of dreams, that are absolutely a simulation of our
perceived reality. Explain our waking state is so dissimilar from the dream
state? I did explain that we receive sensory info from the external world
that anchors our interpretation and model making to real inputs instead of
internally created ones. But it is basically similar to what happened when
we interact with a simulated world via mouse inputs. It is still a
simulation even if it received external inputs.
Giovanni

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Dave S via extropy-chat <