[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 02:15:39 UTC 2023

*Dave: No, brains aren't a simulation of the world. What you're trying to
say is that brains contain a representation of the world.*Giovanni: that
representation of the world and how it is used by the brain is exactly a
simulation. You take certain inputs, you pass it through the representation
in a dynamic way and you get an output that is your new state of the
simulation, we do this iteratively over and over and this is exactly what a
simulation is. In fact, this is how we can navigate the world, we make
simulations of it and make predictions of what is going to happen next, in
the physical world, in the mind of others, and in our own mind.  In fact, I
said simulation is not a good word for this but I take it back, it is a
very good word for all this.
The fact we are biological is completely irrelevant.

If you are implying that there are "real" sensations and reactions in our
biology to the sensory inputs we receive that can be replicated by
non-carbon based substrata, what is the big deal about being biological?
Giovanni