[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 23 03:15:16 UTC 2023

.> On Behalf Of Tara Maya via extropy-chat
..

>.I too suspect that consciousness is recursive, redundant (created by
duplication of older systems in the nervous system to create new systems)
and iterative or self-referential. I'm not sure how relevant it is to
general intelligence; or maybe it's impossible to have sentience without it.
To me, that is a great question which only another sentient species, or a
zoo of them, could answer.  Tara

OK so what if we start with something like a collection of untrained
ChatGPTs, then introduce them to a chosen subset of text, such as. my own
posts to ExI for the past 20 years, Tara you do likewise, or other text you
have generated such as your writings.  Then we allow the GPTs to browse the
internet randomly or at their discretion.  Then we have them debate each
other, and in so doing, train each other.  Would that be a kind of
recursion?

What if a pristine ChatGPT is allowed to train on internet text at its
discretion for a coupla weeks, then a copy is saved, then it is allowed to
browse for two more.  Then the two versions could debate itself.  That would
be self-referential in a way.