[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:58:11 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 10:16 PM Gadersd via extropy-chat <

> Spike, training these models as they run is definitely possible but the
> main barrier here is cost. The expense required to train models as large as
> ChatGPT requires an investment of at least hundreds of thousands of
> dollars. For each individual to have a personalized ChatGPT would require
> us all to be relatively wealthy. Give it a few years and computing costs
> will go down or maybe an improvement of the model architecture will enable
> lower cost training, but for now most of us will have to be content with
> fixed models.
>
> I’m personally hoping for an architectural improvement that will endow
> these models with persistent memory so that they can in a sense cheaply
> train themselves as they run as our own brains do. This however has not
> been developed yet as far as I am aware.  If these models train/learn on
> their own outputs then this may enable them to develop a model of their own
> function which may endow them with embodied characteristics and
> self-consciousness.

I just wanted to share that there is a fully open/open source large
language model out called BLOOM:
https://bigscience.huggingface.co/blog/bloom
https://huggingface.co/bigscience/bloom

It comes in various sizes, some of which can be run stand-alone on modest
hardware (at the cost of lost sophistication of the model).

Jason