[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 23 17:08:11 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
…

>…It is possible to take an already-trained GPT and then tweak it to predict a certain class of input. For example, this video explains how he extended GPT to mimic the behavior of posters on 4chan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPrtcLdcdM

>…The computational cost of this tweak is minor compared to the cost to generate the whole language model in the first place. So what spike has proposed (making customized AIs for everyone) could be done quite affordably.  Jason

Affordably?  What is this affordably jazz?  Looks to me like this can be done profitably!  OpenAI has what looks like the biggest software breakthrough since spreadsheets and word processors, both of which improved productivity beyond our fondest dreams.  They cost money of course, but we paid it cheerfully.

It could become a new cottage industry to take pristine GPTs, train them with our own special mixture of wisdom and sell the training set.  Not the GPT software itself, but only the memory of what you taught it to do.  OpenAI makes money, a GPT-trainer makes money, all that.