[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Wed Feb 22 16:41:25 UTC 2023

> ethereal avatars to oppose Golems of silica. Magical time.

I like your terms, Rafal. In my current story, I postulate that humans have Aptic Enhancers, or AE. (Aptic is a term coined by Julian James to refer to neural aptitudes, without having to specific if they are "instinctual" or "conscious." James also makes the case that what he calls consciousness (perhaps "self-consciousness" would be more precise) is not at all necessary for intelligent behavior.

That makes me wonder how widespread it would. Maybe machines don't need consciousness. What about aliens? A lot of science fiction simply assumes they would have all the future of a human society, from a belief in gods to bars with hookers. But these things might be much more specific to the quirks of human evolution than we credit.

Tara Maya