[ExI] third way

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Feb 24 17:25:39 UTC 2023

In our previous discussions on self-driving cars, we divided them into two
general categories: the driver assisted cars where someone must be at the
wheel and is liable for whatever the car does, and a no-steering-wheel spam
in a can approach, in which the human occupants have no liability.  The
latter has been in the experimental phase for about the last 10 years.

A company called Cruise how has a third way: it uses a modified production
car, with a steering wheel and brake system, but the passengers sit in back
with no one up front, so they are not liable.

https://getcruise.com/rides/

The Cruise car can be used for no-human delivery vehicles and so on.  So far
it only operates at night.

Now that I see their photos, I realize I have seen these cars around town
here, but always with someone behind the wheel.  Cruise starts with the
Chevy Bolt as the road interface and adds a bunch of stuff up top, cameras
and lidars and things.