[ExI] third way

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:12:18 UTC 2023

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 17:28, spike jones via extropy-chat

> In our previous discussions on self-driving cars, we divided them into two
> general categories: the driver assisted cars where someone must be at the
> wheel and is liable for whatever the car does, and a no-steering-wheel spam
> in a can approach, in which the human occupants have no liability.  The
> latter has been in the experimental phase for about the last 10 years.
>
> A company called Cruise how has a third way: it uses a modified production
> car, with a steering wheel and brake system, but the passengers sit in back
> with no one up front, so they are not liable.
>
> https://getcruise.com/rides/
>
> The Cruise car can be used for no-human delivery vehicles and so on.  So far
> it only operates at night.
>
> Now that I see their photos, I realize I have seen these cars around town
> here, but always with someone behind the wheel.  Cruise starts with the
> Chevy Bolt as the road interface and adds a bunch of stuff up top, cameras
> and lidars and things.
>
> spike

The Chevy Bolt conversion does have a steering wheel and pedals.
(So passengers should sit in the rear seats).

The no-controls car is their new Origin design.
<https://www.iotworldtoday.com/transportation-logistics/cruise-av-steering-wheel-less-robotaxi-to-test-in-san-francisco>

BillK