[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Feb 26 22:11:42 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

>>…We judge musicians, actors, writers, all content creators by this standard already. spike

 >…I don't.  To me there are no pieces of popular music that can cast a candle flame on the works of Debussy. All popular music in the 1900s.    All of Debussy.  If one had to go, I'd vote to ditch the popular music.  To me there are no quantitative measures of aesthetics.  You are just kidding, of course.

bill w

The artist’s income is a proxy of course, but it is the only direct measure we have, the only completely objective way to measure it.  I should have used the term ‘measure’ rather than ‘judge.”

Of course there will be disagreement on its value (I too am a huge Debussy fan) but let us restrict the discussion to those who create a non-reproducible object, such as a painting, rather than music.

Certainly this approach injects weirdness.  For instance, the world’s current leading graphics artist is Hunter Biden.  He’s made the most money selling his paintings, so… he wins.  But somehow… I doubt that a generation of aspiring artists will study his work, or that much of it will land in the Louvre alongside the Mona Lisa.

But there is no other universal way to measure success of art creation.