[ExI] text singularity

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jan 13 03:14:25 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] text singularity

>…Pondering the meaning of life has wasted more time in human history than sex, violence, foraging, killing something, or anything else…

Eh Billw, the way the comment is worded almost makes it sound like that list of items compared to pondering the meaning of life are also meaningless.  On the contrary, sex and foraging are definitely not a waste of time, killing something is a form of foraging, and violence is ambiguous (in some cases it is beneficial.)

There are a lot of ways I could go with it.  We get tangled up in meaning of life questions, and does the universe have a point and all that, but look at it this way: for most of the history of this planet, more specifically most of the history of life on this planet, the life was all just blue-green algae.  That doesn’t seem all that meaningful to me, pointless really.  But it was all leading up to something pointful.  If it hadn’t resulted in multicellular life, it would seem pointless still.

If humans experience a series of singularities in which most humans find ourselves with nothing to do and no value to mankind, I can still find some pointfulness to it: we are having fun here.  Living is fun.  I am having fun living now, even if I have no job and I am not needed by anyone.  I need me,  for I cannot have fun without me.

>…If you could program people not to ever think of the question, would you do it?  bill w

No.  If we freed up all that extra time, what would we do with it?  Violence.  Foraging.  Killing something, probably.  No deal.

Oh wait, sex.  Hmmmm, OK Billw, perhaps I would program people to not think of the question, just to free up time.  Well, better idea, I would program the ladies to not think about that question, leave the men to ponder the meaning of life all they want.  Good idea Billw!

Hey perhaps that’s what happened on Elba II in the original series season 3 episode 14, Whom Gods Destroy, with Kirk and the green chick.

spike