[ExI] please analyze this article

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Mon Jan 23 01:58:37 UTC 2023

Quoting sjatkins via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>:

> Would someone more well-versed in the statistical argument presented
> please critically examine the argument in this article. It looks
> quite suspicious to me to go from a meta-analysis of other articles
> that did not explicitly find a link between asthma and gas stoves to
> a the number of gas stoves in existence and the rate of asthma plus
> a bit of mathematical jargon to conclude 12.1% correlation between
> asthma (much less) correlation and gas stoves in the home. Yet this
> suspicious article is being widely referred to in MSM as support
> from "the Science" for banning gas stoves.
>
> https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/20/1/75
>
> And of course those that question this latest bit of trumpeted
> "wisdom" are being called "deniers" and worse as per quite sad usual
> today.

I would point out a few things. First this was a meta-analysis which
included a previously published meta-analysis published in 2013. So
there has been no new data on this in over a decade. Furthermore none
of the original studies could find a correlation, so the 2013
meta-analysis is the only evidence for any causal link. I would also
point out that the authors disclosed that part of their funding came
from RMI, which is a non-profit dedicated to a zero-carbon energy
infrastructure. https://rmi.org/

So yeah, this paper is pretty suspicious and is not based on any new
data. Generally, one can get a really good idea of the political bias
of any scientific work by following the money.

Stuart LaForge