[ExI] ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 02:09:56 UTC 2023

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 at 01:44, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Sure BillK, but that is Neal Stephenson.  His stuff is so wacky cool, creative, zippy, of course ChatGPT is boring compared to him.  We all are.  If he read any of my stuff, he would make it thru about six words before falling asleep or fleeing back to ChatGPT.
>
> Even if it isn't great sci-fi, I want to read something a machine generated, just as I want to watch computers race motorcycles, even if they aren't as fast as their human counterparts.
>
> spike

Ecclesiastes 12:12
And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books
there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh.

And now we have the Internet, self-publishing, Kindle and ChatGPT.
We have so much to read it is indeed wearisome to the flesh.
I don't think Stephenson is talking just about his personal
preferences. If computers can now produce ream after ream of plausible
words strung together, what is the point of spending human time
reading this endless stream? If there is no human personality behind
it, then let another machine read it.

BillK