[ExI] online engineering schools: was RE: ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 7 16:36:26 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
…
Subject: RE: [ExI] ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

…> On Behalf Of Gadersd via extropy-chat

…

>…The analogy does not extend to language models. You cannot compensate for
a small model with more computing time… Gadersd

Gadersd, where I am going with this: I am imagining a ChatGPT subset which
is specifically a university-level STEM trainer.  It isn’t too surprising
that this would be my focus, being as I have been a front row witness over
the past decade as educational online tools far surpassed classroom training
possibilities.  My son and his friends received a far superior math and STEM
education from free online courses than was available in their classrooms.

That crowd now in their mid teens have the potential to be either the last
generation of STEM students trained in the traditional methods or the first
trained using mostly online resources currently available, much of which (in
my opinion) is superior to the classroom versions of the same.  A dedicated
driven student can master the material better than her in-class counterpart
with STEM materials already out there.  We can help guide the onliners to
the best stuff.  We can create a system to compete against the current best
engineering schools.