[ExI] ai at science olympiad, was: RE: AI expert says Singularity only months away - not years

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 12 17:06:51 UTC 2023

Subject: [ExI] AI expert says Singularity only months away - not years

>...Dr Alan D. Thompson is a world expert in artificial intelligence (AI).
This 12 min. video covers a short history of AI development to support his
claim that AGI and the Singularity is not 20 years away, but probably by
2026.
AI development is going faster and faster!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPI8fB2XL3w>

>...BillK

Cool BillK, thx.  Thompson's work shows me the potential of AI as a teacher.

Our Science Olympiad team went all in with ChatGPT as a trainer.  The other
good teams all have a regular Science Olympiad class during the school day
with a full time SciOly teacher and many multiple-year volunteer trainers
and coaches, but we don't.  No budget for that.  Our team is all
after-school, weekend, no regular trainers, volunteer staff only, all on
their own time.  So we are always consigned to a kind of green paper
ceiling, a perpetual about 6th thru 8th in the district.

But this year, ChatGPT came along, four guys showed it is a marvelous
trainer by the two teams winning 2nd and 3rd in an area about which they
knew nada point nothing a week before.  The rest of the team took it up,
trained with it for about 5 weeks, and yesterday, oooooh what a day we had,
my goodness, they were SCORCHED EARTH good yesterday, oh MERCY we put on a
whoop-ass tournament.  We scored high enough in that event to qualify for
state level competition in April, ahead of perennial good teams such as Palo
Alto High.  We... beat... Palo...freaking... Alto, such a good team they are
and have always been.

What did we do different this year?  Used ChatGPT as our trainer.  Perhaps
Paly is far too dignified for that sorta thing, hard to say, but they get a
chance to redeem themselves in a few weeks at state.  Cool!