[ExI] Language Models on Consumer Hardware

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 17:10:55 UTC 2023

I am glad to say that it seems that I was wrong when I argued that it would be a while until we could run good large language models on our puny hardware. A Bulgarian programmer managed to hack Meta’s torrented language model LLaMA to reduce the memory footprint to 4 bits per parameter and now the 13 billion parameter version can be run on consumer hardware. See Large language models are having their Stable Diffusion moment (simonwillison.net) <https://simonwillison.net/2023/Mar/11/llama/> for the full story.