[ExI] ai at science olympiad, was: RE: AI expert says Singularity only months away - not years

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Mar 13 15:50:04 UTC 2023

.> On Behalf Of Tara Maya via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] ai at science olympiad, was: RE: AI expert says
Singularity only months away - not years

>.Spike, are you willing to give tips on how to use ChatGPT to train? My 16
year old son is in AcaDec and training for a competition right now and his
younger brother starts high school next year. I would love some idea how
they could up their game. They are both highly motivated to learn and
computer savvy.

Of course!  Using ChatGPT to train: practice!  Get on there, spend the time,
every day.  Learn how to use it most effectively by using it a lot.  When
these guys were given their assignments, agriculture science, they said "We
don't know Jack Shit about this topic, and Jack gave up and went home."  So.
they just started where you would query an expert if you are utterly and
completely un-self-conscious and don't care if you look like a silly
ignoramus.  They started with "what is agriculture science."  It gave a
pretty good answer, which led to the next question.  The four of them (two
teams) all went at it like madmen, eager to not look stupid.  It worked.
They were asking some very sophisticated questions by the end of the week,
regarding crop cycling, soil conditioning, soil conservation, water use
minimization, phosphorus control and conservation (that glob of seaweed
business really has my wheels spinning (because phosphorus control is super
important in agriculture (and a big part of your cost (depending on where
you are.))))

Advice: nothing complicated.  Tell your boys: get on there, use it to the
hilt, then in two weeks, you teach us what you did and how you did it.

>.I am working right now on how to use ChatGPT to write fiction. But so far,
I haven't been impressed with its ability to pass on factual information. I
tried to enlist its help to imagine a society set on a Superearth, but it
didn't give consistent, factual information. What am I doing wrong?...

Nothing.  ChatGPT doesn't know jack about that subject and Jack left
already.

>.How can kids use ChatGPT to study?  Tara Maya

Use it, use the hell out of it, then teach us how you did it.

Fun aside Tara.  Your boys and mine are nearly grown, but imagine a 6 year
old child who is bright and clearly way beyond his paltry school curriculum
aimed at the 40th percentile student.  Write a story set in the now, about
that child growing up as a new ChatGPT user, becoming a monster scholar,
losing interest in school in his mid-teens (Eliezer did that (and look where
he is now)) taking up programming AI, accidentally causing the singularity
but not a mean uncaring singularity.  Rather he creates an AI which is
interested in bringing humanity along with it, to be the meat things who
supply electricity and computer hardware, companionship to some extent,
supply the transcendent AI with a steady supply of students.

If you wish to run with that idea, go ahead, it's yours.  Say nice things
about me when you make it into the big times.

spike

On Mar 12, 2023, at 10:06 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> >
wrote:

Our Science Olympiad team went all in with ChatGPT as a trainer.  The other
good teams all have a regular Science Olympiad class during the school day
with a full time SciOly teacher and many multiple-year volunteer trainers
and coaches, but we don't.  No budget for that.  Our team is all
after-school, weekend, no regular trainers, volunteer staff only, all on
their own time.  So we are always consigned to a kind of green paper
ceiling, a perpetual about 6th thru 8th in the district.

But this year, ChatGPT came along, four guys showed it is a marvelous
trainer by the two teams winning 2nd and 3rd in an area about which they
knew nada point nothing a week before.  The rest of the team took it up,
trained with it for about 5 weeks, and yesterday, oooooh what a day we had,
my goodness, they were SCORCHED EARTH good yesterday, oh MERCY we put on a
whoop-ass tournament.  We scored high enough in that event to qualify for
state level competition in April, ahead of perennial good teams such as Palo
Alto High.  We... beat... Palo...freaking... Alto, such a good team they are
and have always been.

What did we do different this year?  Used ChatGPT as our trainer.  Perhaps
Paly is far too dignified for that sorta thing, hard to say, but they get a
chance to redeem themselves in a few weeks at state.  Cool!