[ExI] ideas please to catch perp

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 12 21:51:19 UTC 2023

Well, a most unfortunate event occurred last night.  My neighbor up the street had his mailbox smitten by a wayward motorist who was operating his Detroit on the sidewalk at 9:48pm.  I am hoping for some ideas on how to proceed to apprehend the reprehensible perpetrator.

Back story: my neighbor is in a most unfortunate location.  He had his mailbox smitten twice.  Growing weary of this problem, he chose to apply a bit of discipline.  He built a brick structure around the 4x4 wooden post supporting the box, which was soon the victim of a third strike, all presumably from different motorists.  That third collision happened about 6 years ago.

The brick structure being destroyed a third time led him to build a far more sincere brick structure around the wooden 4x4 and fill it with concrete, tacitly daring wayward motorists to collide with the structure.  Last night a drunken fool took him up on his challenge, colliding with the sturdy brick structure at approximately 27 miles per hour, calculated from the surveillance video, ON THE SIDEWALK.  Naturally my neighbor was most annoyed, as was I, for I often stroll that time of the evening on that sidewalk, as do many of our neighbors.

This time however, the perpetrator was kind enough to leave behind a sizeable hunk of his or her conveyance, which even more helpfully has an intact part number.

I went to the car parts sites, which can tell me a part number if I have the make and model of the automobile, but I know of no sites which can tell me the make and model of the auto given the part number.

We have grainy security camera video but can’t tell much from it: compact hatchback, red, but we already knew red from the sizable fragment the wayward motorist left behind after his or her short journey ON THE DAMN SIDEWALK at high speed.

If anyone here knows how to look up the car from a part number, do assist a non-hipster please.