[ExI] Series of blog posts on this email list, origins of Bitcoin, problems with Yudkowki, effective altruism, and more

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 17 02:23:04 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Gadersd via extropy-chat
…
Subject: Re: [ExI] Series of blog posts on this email list, origins of Bitcoin, problems with Yudkowki, effective altruism, and more

>>pitch it to the computer science students, hope none of them undercut you

>…Spike, you may be unaware but many CS programs hardly teach practical programming. I’ve heard stories of professors complaining that their CS grad students could barely string code together. These graduates may know a thing or two about lambda calculus but just try getting them to build an app.

Even startup Stanford is not immune: Stanford Computer Science is Broken - YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SiFgB1lGxw>

Owwwww, I was afraid of that.  We in the USA have grown complacent.  Fat, dumb and happy we are.  I fear a bad ass whooping is going to happen soon because of stuff like you describe.  Our universities are getting far too distracted with the latest culture war to recognize when a literal shooting war is nearly upon us.  I see the high school seniors and college freshmen, oh I can scarcely imagine trying to run a boot camp to train this bunch so the don’t get their asses shot off on the first day.

In any case Gadersd, we are cheering wildly for you, just as we are for Adrian and Stuart, and the other business guys among us.