[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 22:29:18 UTC 2023

If a system can formulate a sentence that employs a word,
and I can then ask the system to tell me the definition of that word,
and it does,
and I can then ask the system to relate its definition to the original
utterance,
and it does,
and the system goes on to continue to use that word,
and all of the system's uses of that word are consistent with the
definition,
then I no longer even understand what it could possibly mean for that
system to /not/ "really understand" that word.

You might just as well say humans don't "really understand" words, since
all our neurons are doing is manipulating concentrations of
neurotransmitters and calcium ions.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:15 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <