[ExI] Twitter to develop own AI for self-defence

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 19 13:40:53 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Twitter to develop own AI for self-defence

>...Twitter to thwart ‘manipulation of public opinion’ with AI, says Elon Musk It is unknown if this is linked to Musk's rumored hiring of an AI team to combat ChatGPT influence.
Baba Tamim   Mar 19, 2023

<https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/twitter-to-thwart-manipulation-with-ai>
Quote:
Elon Musk, owner and CEO of Twitter, will employ artificial intelligence to thwart attempts to sway public opinion on the social platform.

>...The move to deploy AI could help combat "manipulation" on Twitter, according to the business magnate.

"In the months ahead, we will use AI to detect & highlight manipulation of public opinion on this platform," said the tech billionaire in a tweet on Saturday.

>...Is this the start of a war between competing AI bots?

BillK

Thx BillK, this should be interesting.  Musk is a co-owner of ChatGPT, and is by far the richest of its co-owners.

Musk's tweet last week said he was going to make Twitter open source on 31 March, presumably this year.  That means anyone who is dissatisfied with Twitter can go make their own social network using free software.  Software hipsters, is that what he means by open source?

Yesterday's Twitter Files 19 by Matt Taibbi was most astonishing:

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1636729166631432195?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1636729166631432195%7Ctwgr%5Ef4baeea58f085331472661b9ee4687d8b72929a2%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.themainewire.com%2F2023%2F03%2Ffeds-stanford-social-media-censored-true-claims-about-covid-19-twitter-files%2F

Presumably Musk's AI will stop Taibbi from posting stuff like Twitter Files 19, for it is clearly influencing public opinion (hey, TF19 dang sure worked on me.)  So Musk plans to deploy AI to stop himself?  I don't even need AI.  I can stop myself using ordinary I.