[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 19 18:37:07 UTC 2023

Subject: Re: [ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

>…I was mostly talking about John KC…

Oh, you meant to post it to Extropolis?  I haven’t been active over there since shortly after it came into existence.  I wasn’t aware that site was still active, but political topics are not just allowed there, they are welcome, along with all the personal insult anyone desires.  It was set up for that purpose.  I found it most dreary.  Even if personal insult is allowed, people should treat each other with respect and kindness, fairness and understanding, even those with whom we disagree.

>…but for what it's worth I do think you can be prone to start discussions around non-science social 'wedge' issues…

Sure.  If you meant discussions such as openness on Twitter, by all means, I think that is a most worthy topic to discuss in this forum.  I repent of nothing, I intend no disrespect for anyone, and this is not a political discussion.

Will, openness on Twitter is critically important considering what we are seeing unfold in just the past few months.  Twitter censorship existed, it was real, it was used as the US government’s end run around its own constitution, it was spectacularly wrong, most dangerously wrong.  It was used improperly to steer and control public opinion.  Now the new owner of Twitter makes it his goal to stop doing that.

There is nothing political about that, for all US parties and elected officials pledge to uphold the same constitution which disallows government from taking on the role of steering public opinion.  Public opinion steers government.

>…Nothing will ever be as bad as John's TDS though… Will

I wish him the best.  Over there.  He started so many flame wars over here, I eventually chose to step down as moderator, a move I never regretted.  I will say this: ExIMod has done a marvelous job.  They is most appreciated.

Will, if government is allowed to steer public opinion, it creates a positive feedback loop which leads to runaway power grabs which lead to murderous totalitarianism.  There are no known exceptions to that principle in all of human history.  It will always be that way in the future as well.

But if public opinion steers government, it forms negative feedback loops which control the tragic and reprehensible urge in humans to control other humans, a negative feedback which prevents murderous totalitarianism.  There are no known exceptions to that principle in all of human history.  May it ever be so.