[ExI] LLMs cannot be conscious

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:25:01 UTC 2023

It's very cool, and more than a little frightening.

It's so weird to see all the freaky stuff youtalked about when you were in
your twenties play out in your forties. It's kinda like the opposite of
Hunter Thompson's Wave Speech.

The philosophers will continue to make mouth noises until the wave of
paperclip fabbers comes over the horizon, but for myself, I'm not really
interested in any definition of consciousness where the prisoners in
Plato's Cave are either conscious or unconscious depending on whether they
are outside or inside the cave, with no other alteration to their neural
architecture.

Consciousness may be dependent on many things, but one's position in space
is not one of them.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:12 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <