[ExI] What is Consciousness?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 06:20:50 UTC 2023

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023, 1:52 AM Gordon Swobe <gordon.swobe at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my view, consciousness is to be understood in the normal common sense
> meaning of the word. It is what we lose when we take a blow to the head and
> are knocked unconscious. We have it when we are awake or asleep and
> dreaming. It is first person, subjective experience which can include not
> only sense perceptions but abstract thoughts held consciously in mind.
>
> The word consciousness is almost synonymous with intentionality in the
> philosophy of mind. From wiki:  "Intentionality is the power of minds to be
> about something: to represent or to stand for things, properties and states
> of affairs. Intentionality is primarily ascribed to mental states, like
> perceptions, beliefs or desires, which is why it has been regarded as the
> characteristic mark of the mental by many philosophers."

Intentionality was popular for a time, but I think it's fallen out of favor
recently. I think beliefs and perceptions are closer to the mark, desires
less so, as desires might be subconscious.

"In philosophical literature, many phrases have been used to try to evoke
the right flavors for what being sentient really is (“being sentient” is
one of them).
Two old terms are “soul” and “anima.” These days, an “in” word is
“intentionality.” There is the old standby, “consciousness.” Then there is
“being a subject,” “having an inner life,” “having experience,” “having a
point of view,” having “perceptual aboutness” or “personhood” or a “self”
or “free will.”
In some people’s eyes, “having a mind,” “being
intelligent,” and just plain old “thinking” have the right flavors."
— Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennett in “The Mind’s I”
(1981)

I tend to agree with Dennett here:

"Wherever there is a conscious mind, there is a point of view. This is one
of the most fundamental ideas we have about minds–or about consciousness."
— Daniel Dennett in “Consciousness Explained” (1991)

> On a related subject, I often see proponents of "conscious AI" write
> things like "AIs might never be conscious in the way we humans understand
> it, but they will have their own type of consciousness." To me, that is
> nonsensical wishful thinking. We know consciousness only as we understand
> it as humans (or perhaps more generously as mammals) and anything else must
> simply be labeled as not conscious.

We don't even understand it "in humans", as one can only ever be aware of
their own conscious state (and even then only at one instant in time).
Different humans may have radically different ways of perceiving the world.

But just because two people experience the world differently doesn't mean
one of those two isn't consciousness.

Likewise we shouldn't deny the very different types of consciousness as
might exist between different species, alien life forms or machines, just
because they experience things differently.

Jason