[ExI] GPT-4 on the Incommunicability of Qulia

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 21:04:20 UTC 2023

I found GPT-4's answer on this question quite insightful.

Question:

"Can you provide some reasons why qualia are incommunicable?"

GPT-4:

Qualia are often considered incommunicable or ineffable because they are
subjective experiences that cannot be directly observed or measured by
others. There are several reasons for this incommunicability:

1. **Subjectivity**: Qualia are private, first-person experiences that
cannot be directly accessed or observed by others. Each individual's
experiences are unique, and their qualia may differ even when exposed to
the same stimulus. For example, two people may perceive the color red
differently, but there is no way to directly compare their subjective
experiences.

2. **Language limitations**: Language, as a system of communication, is
often inadequate for conveying the richness and nuances of qualia.
Describing a subjective experience in words can be difficult, as language
relies on shared understanding and common reference points. However, since
qualia are inherently private, it is challenging to find the appropriate
words or phrases to communicate the exact nature of an experience.

3. **Incomparability**: There is no objective scale or measure to compare
qualia across individuals. While we can discuss the similarities and
differences in our experiences, we cannot establish a direct correspondence
between our qualia. This lack of comparability makes it difficult to
communicate the precise nature of our experiences to others.

4. **Lack of shared experiences**: Communication about qualia can be
hindered by the lack of shared experiences. If two people have never
experienced a particular quale, it is nearly impossible for them to
understand or appreciate the experience being described. For example,
trying to explain the taste of a specific fruit to someone who has never
tasted it would be challenging, as they have no reference point for
comparison.

5. **Variability in cognitive processing**: Individuals process information
and experiences differently due to differences in their cognitive
architecture, neural pathways, and personal histories. These variations can
lead to differences in how qualia are experienced, making it difficult to
communicate these experiences accurately.

In conclusion, the incommunicability of qualia is primarily due to their
subjective nature, language limitations, incomparability, lack of shared
experiences, and variability in cognitive processing. These factors make it
challenging to convey the precise nature of qualia to others, resulting in
a gap in understanding and communication.

Might the problem not be a color problem, but a problem of communication?
Trying to explain the difference in sound between the sound of "middle-c"
of a piano and the same note on a guitar seems to be about as difficult as
explaining the difference between red and orange, or the difference in
taste between a hot chocolate and a hot coffee with a lot of sugar and
cream.

Jason