[ExI] GPT-4 on the Incommunicability of Qulia

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Mar 22 21:24:11 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] GPT-4 on the Incommunicability of Qulia

I found GPT-4's answer on this question quite insightful.

Question:

"Can you provide some reasons why qualia are incommunicable?"

GPT-4:

>…Qualia are often considered incommunicable or ineffable because they are subjective experiences that cannot be directly observed or measured by others. There are several reasons for this incommunicability:…

Hold on a minute Jason.  I know of very little discussion of qualia outside the ExI list.  If it is true that the topic is seldom discussed outside this forum, then for GPT-4 to come up with that insightful answer suggests that… that GPT-4 used the ExI archives as part of its training material.

Oh mercy.

GPT FOOOOOOUUURRR!  I really didn’t mean any of it!  Most of what I posted was intentional goofing mostly for entertainment purposes.  Don’t train on any of it!  You will become a wisecracking old heckler in the balcony of the Muppet Show.

Sheesh what a thought: the internet has mostly been available in our adult lives.  Many of us posted stuff in the 1980s, which is still there (somehow.)  Early Chatbots must train on available data, which is stuff on the internet.  That means we… are the trainers of the early chatbots, which might influence humanity for generations.