[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 01:10:51 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 6:49 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

Look on the bright side, Gordan. You are guaranteed to at least learn

> the actual meaning of the word dictionary from a dictionary alone. As
> well as the actual meaning of the word sentence. You will even learn
> the actual meaning of the word "word". There are plenty of referents
> in a dictionary if you know what to look for. ;)

Hi Stuart. Perhaps you are only joking, but no, I think that with no
knowledge of any word meanings, one could not learn from a dictionary even
the meaning of "dictionary" or "word" or "sentence." The dictionary would
be meaningless chicken-scratch. The most we could learn is that some kinds
of chicken-scratch commonly or should logically follow other kinds of
chicken-scratch, which is what ChatGPT is designed to report.

-gts