[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:23:03 UTC 2023

Bender's point is not that ChatGBT is incapable of generating sensible
sentences about sticks and bears. It is that these LLMs don't know the
meanings of any words whatsoever. Confronted with a word it has never seen,
it must do a statistical analysis to try to find probable next words, never
knowing what any of them mean.

-gts

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 1:57 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <