[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 23 23:19:47 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Gadersd via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, 23 March, 2023 4:04 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Gadersd <gadersd at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

I really don’t think it thinks, but it makes us think it thinks.  ChatGPT is wicked cool.

>…Spike, if I understand you correctly you believe that ChatGPT doesn’t think because its conversations with itself and other chatbots seem to lack original thought and creativity. One important thing to be aware of is that ChatGPT wasn’t trained to ask questions, only to answer questions. These models are specifically trained to be passive and responsive rather than assertive. Companies are afraid of releasing chatbots with personality as personality leads to unpredictability and unpredictability is bad for business. Given these factors it is understandable that ChatGPT’s conversations with itself would lack flavor. I think we should wait until someone releases a model of GPT4 caliber that hasn’t been lobotomized before arriving at conclusions.

Agree with all Gadersd.  This was really at the heart of the question I began asking soon after ChatGPT showed up in November: is this something that any prole can download and can I get to the source code, and perhaps modify and compile a version of it myself, and can I offer it some kind of plug-in consisting of stuff that I know about which the internet does not, such as what is the smallest number which can be expressed as the sum of two cubes three different ways, and how can matrix superposition be used to predict a time interval in which the next record Mersenne prime will be discovered, and my genealogy.

On that last bit, I want to have a version of ChatGPT in which I can download my DNA-based genealogy research, then have ChatGPT ride along in my phone.  Since my phone already knows where I am (from GPS) and has maps in it (from Google) I want to create a chatbot which can just jump in when a prole is out riding a motorcycle or driving somewhere on vacation, with comments such as: Hey spike, me lad!  If you have about an hour, take a left about 500 meters ahead and I will show you where your great great grandmother’s brother is buried.

That kinda thing.  That would be cool.  I think it is coming.  There’s a lotta cool applications we could hang on ChatGPT, but we hafta be able to train it ourselves, or let it be mostly trained by whoever owns it, and we offer it plugins or files full of stuff we care about.