[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:03:49 UTC 2023

> I really don’t think it thinks, but it makes us think it thinks.  ChatGPT is wicked cool.

Spike, if I understand you correctly you believe that ChatGPT doesn’t think because its conversations with itself and other chatbots seem to lack original thought and creativity. One important thing to be aware of is that ChatGPT wasn’t trained to ask questions, only to answer questions. These models are specifically trained to be passive and responsive rather than assertive. Companies are afraid of releasing chatbots with personality as personality leads to unpredictability and unpredictability is bad for business. Given these factors it is understandable that ChatGPT’s conversations with itself would lack flavor. I think we should wait until someone releases a model of GPT4 caliber that hasn’t been lobotomized before arriving at conclusions.