[ExI] chatgpt is an excellent law professor

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Mar 25 05:47:38 UTC 2023

In the news this week has been law firms using ChatGPT as a paralegal.
Comments indicate that it is really good at that task.

So I went in and experimented.  I came away with the attitude that ChatGPT
is an excellent law professor.  It knows all the details on grand juries and
Brady material.

For instance, the case of Brady vs Maryland was decided by the US Supreme
Court in 1963.  It requires the prosecutor in a criminal case to hand over
any exculpatory evidence it has to the defense.  The defense is not required
to hand over incriminating evidence to the prosecution.  We intentionally
stack the deck in favor of the defendant in the USA.

OK but what about a grand jury?  Those are different, for there is no
defense in a grand jury.  Those are assembled by the prosecution, it has up
to 23 jurors and only a simple majority is required to allow a prosecutor to
take the case to trial.

I wanted to know if the Brady rules apply to a grand jury.  What I learned
is that the prosecutor is obligated to present exculpatory evidence to the
grand jury.  If they fail to do that, then the judge in the trial can
dismiss the case with prejudice.

Fascinating stuff.  Thanks ChatGPT.  I would really not want to be a
paralegal today.