[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 01:07:16 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 6:29 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023, 7:33 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 4:11 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

>>> I don't understand what you are saying here.
>>>

>> Do you agree that referents are data?  If not, why not?
>>

> What is a referent? My understanding was that according to you and Adrian,
> things like dictionaries and Wikipedia text lack referents since they are
> just bodies of text.

I think it was Adrian who asked you that question. A referent as I use the
term is something that exists outside of language to which a word refers.
You have an apple in your hand and you say "this is an apple." The apple in
your hand is the referent that corresponds to your word "apple."

As for whether referents are data, it is unclear to me how referents could
be data. I am inclined to say no but I am not sure what Adrain is getting
at here.

 -gts