[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 06:45:31 UTC 2023

*Now, what if they don't beam down to the planet and listen to only digital
radio signals coming from the planet and send digital radio signals in
return? No communication is possible as there are no referents. It's all
noise.*Gordon on you are so wrong.
People have studied this problem deeply and found a solution using the laws
of physics and mathematics as abstract referents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message

As we already established we can use abstract referents for communication.
Math is another example, as GPT-4 correctly said, it has references but
they are abstract. An entire communication can happen without concrete
referents as in mathematics. Without talking about using digital pics or 3D
models of objects all made of 0 and 1s (basically what you would do to
communicate to an entity in a digital world).
The reason you still insist on this human exceptionalism is because of
religious faith.

Giovanni