[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:00:02 UTC 2023

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023, 2:45 AM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <

> I can already hear someone saying "but we will include photographs of
> objects in the training so they have referents," but this still does not do
> the trick. These digital photographs can be displayed to the human operator
> of the chatbot, but the bot itself sees only 1s and 0s, on's and off's. It
> can detect colors by wavelength, but still this is only digital data. It
> does not see the colors. Likewise with shapes. It is turtles (one's and
> zero's) all the way down with no referents.

But then: how do we?

Your answer: "the brain's a mystery" doesn't escape the fact that it's a
counterexample to your argument.

It only takes a single counterexample to disprove the validity of a theory.
In this case, our brains disprove the theory that "a system cannot learn
meaning just from patterns in information."

Jason