[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 07:47:18 UTC 2023

This has been done before:
Can you find a study that deals with the idea of building a language
without physical referents?

While I cannot browse the internet for the latest studies, I can point you
to an interesting experiment that deals with the idea of creating a
language without direct physical referents. This experiment is known as the
"Talking Heads Experiment," conducted by Luc Steels and his colleagues in
the late 1990s.

The Talking Heads Experiment involved two robotic agents with cameras that
were programmed to "learn" a shared language by pointing at objects in
their environment and communicating with each other about what they were
seeing. The robots were not provided with any predefined language or
vocabulary. Instead, they had to develop their own communication system by
interacting with each other and learning from their experiences.

Through this process, the robots were able to create a shared lexicon and
grammar for describing objects and their properties, such as color and
shape. This experiment demonstrated that it is possible for agents to
develop a language without direct physical referents, relying on
interaction and feedback to build a shared understanding of their
environment.

Although the Talking Heads Experiment involved robots with cameras that
allowed them to perceive their environment, the experiment still
illustrates the potential for creating a language based on interaction and
learning, rather than relying on direct physical referents.

For more information on the Talking Heads Experiment, you can refer to the
following sources:

   1. Steels, L. (1999). The Talking Heads Experiment: Origins of words and
   meanings. Laboratorium, Antwerpen.
   2. Steels, L. (1998). The origins of syntax in visually grounded robotic
   agents. Artificial Intelligence, 103(1-2), 133-156.