[ExI] What is Consciousness?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 02:12:30 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:29 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:34 AM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 10:47 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <
>>
>>> So following your rationale that consciousness requires "essential
>>> qualities" rather than "abstract data" then old -fashioned color film
>>> cameras were conscious:
>>>

> Yes, this is a great first step towards understanding.  Some things in
> nature must behave the way they do, because of their intrinsic
> colorness quality.  It is theoretically possible that silver-nitrate
> crystals behave the way they do, because of their colerness quality.  The
> only problem is, there is no computation going on, with the film or in such
> a camera, just stand alone silver-nitrate crystals abstractly representing
> the picture.
> The next required step is computational binding.  In order to
> directly apprehend something's intrinsic quality, you need to be able to
> computationally bind it into the rest of your consciousness, so you can
> directly apprehend their quality, so you can compute with them, enabling
> you to say: "Oh THAT is what silver-nitride particles are like."
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:34 AM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <
>
>> The entire idea of qualia is ridiculous
>>

> OK, then.  Answer me this,  What is it that has the redness quality in
> your brain, when you look at this?
> [image: red.png]
> Nobody knows that yet.

### But Brent, neuroscientists have known that for decades. The color
rosettes in the fusiform gyrus code for this quality, they are the neural
implementation of basic color recognition, with additional higher level
processing in the angular gyrus and other areas.

We know color.

Rafal