[ExI] AI for Authors

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Mon Mar 27 05:43:25 UTC 2023

I thought this group might be interested in an update on my book, "AI for Authors," in which I explain the pros and cons, the advantages and the limitations of using ChatGPT to help write fiction.

Amazon accepted the book without any fuss and you can find it under the title AI for Authors with these AZINs:

B0BZ1Q8KPC [ebook]
B0BZ324NDZ [paperback]

However, D2D, an intermediary platform I use to publish on most other sites, including Apple, Kobo, Barnes and Noble and a dozen smaller sites, rejected the book. They claimed it had copyrighted material. I protested that it did not. Most of the material is ENTIRELY original (and human written) and some is ChatGPT generated but original and used for teaching purposes.

That wasn't good enough. They rejected my appeal.

> There is currently a lot of ongoing discussion related to AI generated artwork and content. Based on the copyright guidelines posted by the Federal Copyright offices that states that AI Generated content cannot be copyrighted, and based on our own vendors feedback, we are not accepting such content. We appreciate your understanding of this matter and we will provide updates should this change.

Well, I still think what I put up was fair use, but it does give me pause. I don't want any future book I write with this tool as an assist being flagged as "copyright violation" even if I've substantially changed the AI generated material.

Tara Maya